THE PALACE AND ITS SURROUNDINGS
2. The Palace and its Surroundings
The palace was conceived as the residence of the founder, Juan de Goyeneche. This two-storied building is placed on the left side of the palace-church complex. The main entrance is framed by a big rounded moulding , and a lion with the coat of arms of the valley of Baztán (Navarra) among his opened jaws is place just in the center of the lintel. It was given to the people of the valley of Baztán in 1212, due to the bravery shown in the battle of Navas de Tolosa. The door is crowned by a projecting coat of arms, which was added after finishing the former building. It depicts the titles of marquis of Belzunce and Count of Saceda, both of them holded by the second son of Juan de Goyeneche (Franciso Miguel). The coat of arms is belived to have been placed around 1750.
The left side of the complex is closed by a fortified tower decorated with an all-round balustrade and stone balls in “herrerian” style. The architect Churriguera was known for admiring Juan de Herrera, builder of the monastery of El Escorial. The fortified tower presents a quadrangular structure, and has no symmetry with the rest of the towers of the complex. Due to its shape and decoration, it seems to be far more sober than the church. This external differences between both constructions emphasize the dramatically different uses of the buildings.
The entrance hall leads to a beautiful courtyard with a well, marked out with pointed arches. A majestic staircase departs from the hall. Its vaulted ceiling shows geometric figures.
In the upper storey of the palace are located the noble rooms. The galleries are so wide that a little theatre was placed in one of the rooms at the romantic period.
The wine cellars constructed beneath the palace are undoubtedly remarkable. One of the corridors run beneath the Church Square, reaching the house opposite the fortified tower, connecting both buildings.
Surrounding the place-church complex, squares are connected one and other, as if they were “a hall whose ceiling is the sky”. Each of the squares were thought to highlight different facades. The Church Square, placed in front of the main facade of the complex, is the “most deeply baroque one”. It was conceived to enhance the principal front of the building. In this square we can find a 18th decoration century fountain, called the Tritons Fountain because of its